Wimbledon organizers are working on the basis of a reduced number of spectators for this year’s tournament due to restrictions on the coronavirus.
The All England Club said Thursday that it remains “flexible” as it responds to changing circumstances amid the pandemic as the British government follows a roadmap outside the blockade.
“We want to ensure that we can leave decisions on public capacity as late as possible to welcome the maximum number of guests,” said the All England Club, which scrapped the tournament last year for the first time since World War II.
There will be a mandatory requirement for all players, their support teams and tennis staff to be in an official hotel of the tournament and not in private homes, the club said.
“Although the promise of a return to a more normal existence is on the horizon, we are not there yet,” said All England Club President Ian Hewitt.
There is no official ticket voting this year, and instead organizers have been providing an online platform for ticket sales for some time in June. Wimbledon is scheduled to run from June 28 to July 11.
Due to the possibility of continuing the requirements for social distancing, there will be no ticket resale operation. This means the absence of one of the defining landmarks of Wimbledon: the long queue of people around the pitch of the All England Club.