Norwegian telecommunications operator Telenor said on Monday that concerns about the safety of its employees had stopped it, listing forced Internet outages in Myanmar following the February 1 military coup.
Although the junta has repeatedly forced ISPs to turn off or restrict access since taking power, Telenor make an attempt at transparency by listing the ordered breaks on your website.
But it was announced on Sunday that “it is currently not possible for Telenor to disclose the directives we receive from the authorities” in Myanmar, adding that “we deeply regret that the list on this site will no longer be updated.”
Spokeswoman Hanne Langeland Knudsen told AFP on Monday that “our overall assessment of the situation now means we cannot communicate about the directives”, saying that the situation in Myanmar is “confused and unclear” and that “the security of our employees is top priority from the outset “.
Telenor has been operating in Myanmar since 2014 and hired 747 people there last year.
Telecommunications services are currently severely disrupted, and UK-based monitoring group NetBlocks wrote Monday night that the country has been under “almost complete internet shutdown” for a second night in a row.
Repeated internet outages have not prevented thousands of people from taking to the streets in Myanmar’s major cities and remote villages, although generals deployed additional troops on Monday as their crackdown intensified.
Can Realme X7 Pro take over OnePlus Nord? We discussed this on Orbital, our weekly technology podcast, which you can subscribe to via Apple Podcasts,, Google Podcasts, or RSS,, download the episodeor just press the play button below.