Inter Milan’s match against Sassuolo on Saturday has been postponed due to the growing number of coronavirus cases, and the team’s players are banned from traveling under international obligations, the Italian club announced on Thursday.
Inter defender Stefan de Vries and midfielder Matthias Vecchino were the newest players to pass the COVID-19 test. Goalkeeper Samir Handanovic and defender Danilo D’Ambrosio were positive earlier this week.
Inter said that the local health authority in Milan has decided to suspend all activities of the team for four days, including postponing the match against Sassuolo. The club also said that all players are “forbidden to make any calls to the relevant national teams.”
Inter said the whole team will be tested again on Monday.
Players must join their national teams after the matches over the weekend for the start of the World Cup qualifiers.
Inter Milan have been bidding for their first Serie A title in more than a decade. The team, coached by Antonio Conte, has a nine-point lead over second-placed Milan.