Facebook’s supervisory board has received a “user statement” on the case, in which it decides whether the social media company was entitled to suspend former President Donald Trump’s Facebook and Instagram accounts indefinitely, a board spokesman confirmed on Tuesday.
Facebook handed the case over to its independent council in January after it blocked To Trump access to his accounts amid fears of further violent unrest following the storming of the US Capitol by supporters of the former president. The on-board process gave administrators on Trump’s page the option to file a statement challenging Facebook’s decision.
The spokeswoman said the board would have no further comment until it issued a decision.
The complaint was first reported by the British Channel 4 News.
Earlier this month, the supervisory board said it was extending the period of public comment on the case by one week, citing “high levels of interest”.
A spokeswoman for the supervisory board said the board had received more than 9,000 comments on the Trump case, the most so far just in case.
Several scholars and civil rights activists have publicly shared their letters, calling on the board to ban Trump permanently. Republicans opposed the ban and demanded a reinstatement of Trump’s accounts.
© Thomson Reuters 2021
Is the Samsung Galaxy S21 + the ideal flagship for most Indians? We discussed this on Orbital, our weekly technology podcast, which you can subscribe to via Apple Podcasts,, Google Podcasts, or RSS,, download the episodeor just press the play button below.