Cameron Bancroft has informed Cricket Australia (California) that there is no new information about the ball-counterfeiting scandal in 2018, deviating from his previous claims that bowling may be aware of the illegal plot during the Newlands test, according to a report.
It has now become clear that Bancroft, who currently plays for Durham in the English District Championships, has responded to the CA Integrity Department, which has contacted him in search of new information about the scandalous incident.
“Bancroft, who plays cricket in the UK, responded conciliatory on Monday, saying he did not have significant new information to share with CA,” the Sydney Morning Herlad newspaper reported, citing sources familiar with the situation.
“Bancroft is said to have told CA that he supported the investigation and was pleased with the outcome,” it added.
The report also said that “the issue is unlikely to escalate”. Bancroft, 28, was caught on camera using sandpaper on the ball in the third test against South Africa in 2018.
In an interview last week, Bancroft was asked twice if bowling knew about his actions, and both times he said it was “quite understandable.”
The Bancroft trio, then a skipper Steve Smith and his deputy David Warner were banned from participating in the ball-countering scandal.
By the time Bancroft was banned for nine months, Smith and Warner had been removed for a year.